Dance Family

I've been working with an amazing group of 7th and 8th graders the past few weeks on choreography for their end of year festival.  They are doing a wonderful job with salsa, cha cha, and merengue, and the majority of them are learning the footwork for the first time.  They are picking up on the choreography so well I find myself challenging them beyond what I had planned.  It's exciting to see their faces when they get the movement down - the pride they feel is just priceless.

Today was my favorite day there because everyone showed up, they remembered last week's choreography, and were eager to learn more.  That alone makes my day.  But it was one of the comments a girl made at the end of class that made me smile.  She is one of those students who is very polite, cooperative, and works very hard even though the movement doesn't come easily.  She happened to glance down at my Visitor's badge that the front office gave me to wear and asked why I had to wear it.  I replied that it was policy for everyone who teaches the after school programs to wear one.  She then said, "But you're not a visitor.  You're part of our dance family."

What a powerful statement.  And by far the best compliment I've ever received.

1 comment: